The Highest Form Of Power Is Detachment

How you dealt with toxic narcisisstic colleague during your career time?


I too was an egoistic surgeon at younger time but I generally try not to hurt or look down on my peer working colleagues.

 I expected the same from my working colleagues but unfortunately in surgical working field, we may get one or two, who can be very mean.

I  generally believed in working as a team and peers as an advantage to me because, if not I had to do the job as a single surgeon which is much more stressful.

Beside my mentor, Mr Ismail had told me that never threaten or scare another surgeon away from working as a team, if not the burden of work will be doubled.

So I try, my level best to work within my own boundaries and that,it doesn't clash with the other surgeon.

However in spite of all my efforts if I have still burdensome peer working surgeon.Then I maintained an imaginary  working circle around me.

If anyone enters that circle,  I will express my displeasure to the individual or to the HOD of the interference which causng the disharmony of  work atmosphere.Beside that, I will discuss with the individual of  the clear boundaries and if anyone crosses it,  the repercussion out of it.

At the same time, I too don't bother to rectify or assist that peer surgeon if he/she  face any  problem in work. Let them handle the issue or face the consequences with the authorities.

As for me, I do my work diligently and with full of consciousness in order that I am not caught slip-short in doing my work.

Being a government servant with many  years of experience, I will have my own cases to handle, my operation time, my clinic and my ward rounds to do.

If  my surgical colleague let it be seniors or juniors if they're humble and  friendly, I will assist ,give my opinion and advise.

If they're bossy and arrogant, I avoid them and don't assist or care to give my input. If they do any  mistakes or mismanage,let them face the disciplinary board.

In government hospitals,there will be many and varied clinical work to do. So I chose my work and patients to do what best I can, in order to contribute in my service as a surgeon. 

However if I am a HOD,it is a  different matter, since I need to oversee a department and a team of working colleagues. I try to maintain good working culture and every staffs are working as a team with no rivalries to  upkeep the standard of the department and the hospital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual Wisdom

Wisdom Of Peace

Life Lesson From Scuba Diving